Princess Parker is a highly accomplished Licensed Professional Counselor – Associate who brings several years of outstanding experience to Gearing Up. She has been a professional in a variety of settings including private practice, the Child’s Advocacy Center, and in the corporate business and finance world. Princess attended Texas A & M University for her masters degree, one of the most acclaimed programs in the Southwest for professional counseling. She completed her undergraduate degree and two graduate degrees at this outstanding university.
Early in her career, Princess enjoyed several years in corporate America. She worked in merchandising, supply chain analysis, accounting, and financial analysis. After years of distinguished work, Princess felt a different calling in her life and decided to pursue professional counseling as her next step. She returned to her alma mater university, the world-renowned Texas A&M University, where she completed her Masters of Science in Counseling and Clinical Mental Health and began her career in professional counseling.
Due to these extraordinary accomplishments in both the business and counseling worlds, Princess offers a unique insight into the world of corporate America. Her perspective in counseling is now influenced by her keen understanding of the rigors of corporate finance and the demands of the modern economy on her clients. She is skilled in choosing the counseling tools best suited to assist them in handling those challenges effectively. She teaches them how to lower their distress, set healthy boundaries without apology, engage in accurate and wise communication, manage difficult emotions and relationships effectively, and how to stabilize negative reactions in challenging interpersonal situations.
Having completed extensive training and supervision in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Princess has worked with senior Gearing Up leadership to refine and master her skills in DBT. As a DBT practitioner, she outlines specific strategies for improvement and guides clients through the effective implementation of DBT skills. Her central, unwavering dedication to the welfare of others helps her clients invest deeply in their own therapy. She reinforces her client’s progress in their use of the skills across different areas of their lives including relationships, at work or school, in the community, and more. As a team, Princess and her clients work to achieve not only their therapy goals, but a renewed sense of purpose and self-confidence. Her clients notice the incredible warmth, compassion, and comfort that she offers in each session. She brings a sophisticated and poised demeanor to her therapy room. During her sessions, she is gifted in offering new insights and a fresh perspective while pointing out sabotaging patterns and new possibilities.
Above all, Princess is best at finding hope in the middle of a stormy moment. Remaining present and empathic when her clients are in pain, she helps them to calm down, regroup and find their emotional “footing.” Once their mind is in a more peaceful place, she works with them to discover the best solution to the problem. Most importantly, she can see beyond the moment of difficulty. She truly believes that this moment will improve and that her clients can handle their challenges with courage. During adversity, she often reminds her client to “surf” the powerful emotion rather than reacting quickly or impulsively or unwisely. Always validating and forever advocating for her clients in every situation, she is a counselor who listens with her heart, remains non-judgmental at all times and even uses gentle humor to assure her clients that things will get better and so will they.
Princess’ Professional Experiences Include:
- Adult Individual Therapy
- Adolescent Individual Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Patient Assessment and Diagnosis
- Mood Disorders (Depression/Anxiety)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Non-Suicidal Self Injury
- Assessing and Managing Suicidal Ideation
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD/ADD)
- Anger Management
- Social Anxiety
- Panic Attacks
- Grief and Loss
- Bipolar Disorders
- Relationship dissolution
- Divorce/Relationships Dissolution
- Relationship issues
- Family Conflict Issues
- Multicultural issues
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Complex Trauma Disorder
- Domestic Abuse
- Abuse (mental, psychological, sexual, physical)
Specialized Training in:
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy – Princess has studied Dialectical Behavior Therapy both in formal training and in on-site supervision with Dr Sylvia Gearing and senior supervisors. Princess completed the acclaimed DBT training with world renowned psychologist, Dr Lane Pederson, PsyD, LP, C-DBT. Dr Pederson has consulted in DBT with over 30,000 practitioners across the globe. Princess has also participated in Dr. Gearing’s DBT group program as a group assist.
- Complex Trauma Certification – Princess is in the process of completing her training and certification in Complex trauma and is studying the work of internationally renowned psychologist and author, Janina Fisher, Ph.D. Dr. Fisher was one of the first psychologists in the country who began studying and treating trauma. She is a former instructor at Harvard Medical School.
Upon completion of this prestigious program, Princess will be a Certified Complex Trauma Treatment Level Two Professional and an expert in the treatment of Complex Trauma.
Among Princess’ many accomplishments are the following:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, from Texas A & M University
- Masters of Science in Finance, from Texas A & M University
- Masters of Science in Counseling, Clinical Mental Health, Texas A&M University
- Licensed Professional Counselor–Associate in Texas
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Under supervision with Melissa Woods, LPC-S, LPA and June Holcomb, LPC-S, LCDC