Melissa Woods is an extraordinarily accomplished counselor. She has a reputation for outstanding and innovative work with children, adolescents, and adults. She has been a counselor with Gearing Up for over eleven years and holds the designation of Director of Child & Adolescent Services. She is a gifted and seasoned clinician who enjoys a superlative reputation as one of the best counselors in North Texas.
Prior to joining Gearing Up, Melissa worked at the Dallas County Juvenile Department as a Psychology Assistant on the Psychological Evaluation Team. In this capacity, she worked with acclaimed senior psychologists from UT Southwestern Medical School in evaluating hundreds of children and teens. She became an expert in adolescent psychological evaluation, interviewing, and clinical treatment.
In addition, Melissa is an experienced clinician in the treatment of traumatic stress in children and adolescents. She has studied the ARC system (Attachment, Self Regulation and Competence) and uses this cutting edge system in the evaluation and treatment of children and teens at Gearing Up. Melissa has also completed fifty-five hours of advanced training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT).
Fluent in Spanish and equipped with twenty years of clinical experience, Melissa possesses a keen understanding of a variety of psychological disorders, treatments and therapies. As a forensic evaluator, she has evaluated hundreds of adolescents, adults, and their families for court. In addition, Melissa has spearheaded Family Training Programs, Anger Management Programs for individuals and families, and has conducted therapy and assessments in Spanish for many years.
Specializations, Experience, and Training:
- Individual Therapy With Adolescents
- Individual Therapy With Men and Women
- Traumatic Stress in Children and Adolescents
- Complex Trauma
- Mood Disorders
- Depression and Anxiety
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy – completed over 60 hours of advanced DBT training
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- MBCT – Certified for Adults and Children
- Neuroscience and Yoga in the Treatment of Complex, Developmental or Repeated trauma.
- Trauma Informed Yoga Therapy
- ADHD Assessments
- Family Therapy
Psychological Assessments In:
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Learning Disabilities
- Educational Testing
- Psychological Testing
- Projective Testing
Melissa’s many accomplishments include the following:
- B.A. in Psychology, with a Minor in Spanish, Baylor University
- Masters of Arts in Counseling, The University of North Texas
- Licensed Member of the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
- Licensed Member of the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors
- Licensed Member of the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors as an LPC Supervisor
- Dallas County Juvenile Department Employee of the Year–Psychological Services, 1999
- Dallas County Juvenile Department Employee of the Month, February 1999.
- Dallas County Juvenile Department–Psychology Division, Staff, 1997 to March 2007
- Early Childhood Intervention Therapy Group for Children (ages 3-12)
- Conducts Therapy and Assessments in Spanish
- Managed High Volume Referrals for Psychological Intervention in Psychological Department at the Dallas County Juvenile Department
- Clinical Supervisor for Interns Completing the Masters Degree at the University of North Texas and Southern Methodist University
Clinical Supervisor of L.P.C. Interns